CSC Officers and Exec 20120/21
The 8 ordinary members for 2020/21 are Rioghnach Hyland, Aoife Daly, Laura Fitzpatrick, Alice Lennon, Megan nic Mhathuna, Christiana Popoola, Seamus Small, Claire Stafford.
What does the CSC Executive do? The Executive is made up of the CSC Officers, plus 8 ordinary members elected by the Treasurers of currently recognised societies. The Executive’s job is to run the CSC day-to-day, making decisions on grant applications, recognition of new societies, and other matters.
Duties of Society Officers to the CSC – Elected officers, have a duty of care to your society, but you also have certain responsibilities towards the CSC. If you are experiencing any difficulties with regards to running your society, please either call into the office or email us and we will try to fix the problem together.
The Chair of the CSC for 2020/21 firstname.lastname@example.org Office Hours – 4pm – 5pm every Monday and Tuesday
Hello! My name is Ryan and I am a Senior Sophister Economics; Philosophy student, and will be
serving as the Chair of the CSC this year. I have spent far too many hours away from my studies –
mostly debating with the Phil – since I arrived in Trinity. I am here to share advice on running
societies, help mediate any issues you might have with other bodies within the College and to represent the interests of all societies in College Committees. I’m the best person to turn to if – as is often the case – you run into an issue that you aren’t quite sure who would be the best person in the CSC to ask. Feel free to reach out at any time – particularly during my office hours.
The responsibility and duties of the Chairperson of the CSC shall be:
- the chairing of meetings of the Committee and Executive.
- the appointment of chairpersons to any sub‐committees of the Executive or the Committee.
- the responsibility for the overall running of the Committee.
- the responsibility, in conjunction with the Honorary Treasurer, for support staff employment and relations.
- to liaise with such other bodies as appoint representatives to the Capitation Committee and to act as chief negotiator with bodies or persons not covered in the briefs of other Officers.
The CSC Secretary for 2020/21 Secretary@csc.tcd.ie office hours are 11 – 12 Monday and 3 – 4 Thursday.
Bonjour! My name is Ultan and I am the CSC Secretary for this year. I’m a Senior Sophister Drama and Theatre Studies student and I’ve spent my years in college this far making a fool of myself on the DU Players stage and so I’m very excited to now move to making a fool of myself on the CSC stage too! I’m here to help societies work to achieve their aims and objectives as smoothly and as innovatively as possible this year and to work to ensure that societies flourish and thrive in these challenging times. I’m also your first port of call for all things constitutions and proposing new societies so please never be afraid to shoot me an email and come and have a cup of tea during my office hours.
The responsibility and duties of the Secretary of the CSC shall be:
- the oversight of the preparation of agendas and minutes for meetings of the Committee and Executive.
- the oversight of the keeping and proper archiving of the Committee’s records.
- the oversight of general correspondence of the Committee.
- ruling upon the degree of adherence of the reported activities of each University Society, as reflected within its Annual Activity Report, to the criteria for its activities as defined by its constitution, and on whether said Activity Report satisfies the obligations upon University Societies stipulated by the articles of this Constitution and the duly enacted Policies of this Committee, which Activity Reports are submitted in accordance with the requirements of this Constitution.
- to ensure the on‐going availability to all members of the Committee of an up‐to‐date copy of the Committee’s Constitution and its Grants Policy Document and to inform members of the availability of said documentation at the beginning of each academic year.
- the constitutional affairs of the Committee and of all University Societies.
- to chair meetings of the Committee and Executive in the absence of the Chairperson and the Honorary Treasurer.
- the formulation of recommendations to the Executive in respect of the provisional recognition of prospective University Societies.
- the formulation of recommendations to the Committee in respect of the full recognition of provisional University Societies.
- the oversight of all CSC Publications.
- to represent the Committee on any national Student Society Organisation to which it may affiliate.
Hi! My name is Nathan and I’ll be the Treasurer of the CSC for 2020/2021. Treasurer@csc.tcd.ie
I’m a final-year Law and Political Science student, and throughout my time here in Trinity, I have to admit that society life has been the best part of my experience. From debating in the Phil to making tie-dye t-shirts with VisArts and hearing really interesting panels run by FLAC, societies have made my college experience so enjoyable. Trinity’s vast range of societies makes it an amazing place where there’s something for everyone to get involved with. Having served as the Treasurer of the Phil last year, I’m well-equipped to assist any Treasurers this coming year with the general duties of your role. Consider me as your general point of contact on anything to do with grants, accounts, and anything else financially related. This year might present itself with novel challenges for all societies but know that the CSC is here to help societies thrive as much as possible, so never be afraid to get in touch with us if you need anything!
The responsibility and duties of the Treasurer of the CSC shall be:
- the oversight of all financial matters of the Committee.
- the oversight of the finances of all University Societies saving those with very large turn‐over, the oversight of which shall fall to the Honorary Treasurer.
- ruling on the adherence of the financial records of a University Society to the criteria defined for the same within the Grants Policy Document, and on whether said financial records satisfy the obligations upon University Societies stipulated by the articles of this Constitution and the duly enacted Policies of this Committee, which records are submitted in accordance with the requirements of this Constitution.
- to act in conjunction with the Honorary Treasurer in drawing up budgets and drafting a Grants Policy Document.
- to act in conjunction with the Honorary Treasurer in all the Committee’s dealings with banks and other financial institutions.
- to chair meetings of the Committee and Executive in the absence of the Chairperson, the Honorary Treasurer and the Secretary.
The CSC Amenities Officer for 2020/21 Amenities@csc.tcd.ie – Office Hours – Monday 1-2 and Wednesday 3-4
Hi! I’m James, I’m a fourth-year Law & Politics student and your Amenities Officer for this year! Since I walked into Trinity 3 years ago, societies have played such a massive role in my time here, from the Phil to DU Amnesty, so I’m super excited to be on the CSC this year! Normally my job would be helping societies out with things like booking rooms and buying furniture, but obviously things will be a little different this year. Hopefully we’ll be back on campus sooner rather than later, but in the meantime I’m committed to helping you all make the absolute most of virtual society life in any way that I can! Don’t be afraid to hit me up with an email at any time!
The responsibilities of the Amenities Officer shall be:
- the allocation and maintenance of University Society rooms and facilities.
- the procurement of capital items on behalf of the Committee and for University Societies as appropriate.
- to deal with the College authorities relevant to amenities of the Committee.
- to act as the nominated safety officer of the Committee.
- to act as the nominated recycling officer of the Committee.
- to chair meetings of the Committee in the absence of the Chairperson, the Honorary Treasurer, the Secretary and the Treasurer.
CSC Honorary Treasurer Ronan Hodson. email@example.com
The responsibilities of the Honorary Treasurer
- the oversight of the financial affairs of University Societies with a large turnover and advising the Treasurer on the quality of said financial records prior to the Treasurer’s ruling on said financial records.
- the formulation of the Committee’s long‐term financial policy.
- the preparation, in conjunction with the Treasurer of the Committee’s annual financial records.
- the presentation of the Committee’s annual financial records to the Committee at the appointed General Meeting of the Committee.
- to ensure the on‐going provision to all members of Committee of up‐to‐date statements of the sums granted to University Societies at meetings of the Executive.
- the presentation of the Committee’s annual financial records to the Capitation Committee at the appointed meeting of said committee.
- the responsibility, in conjunction with the Chairperson, for support staff employment and relations.
- To act as Vice‐Chairperson of the Committee and Executive.
The Honorary Treasurer shall not be entitled to vote at any meeting of the Committee or its Executive, other than a casting vote when in the Chair or when meeting under the provisions of 6.10 of the constitition
About running for a position on the CSC
Can I become a member of the CSC executive?
Registered students who are currently engaged in academic studies or research, or staff of the University, are eligible to be elected to the Executive or as an Officer of the Committee. Executive members are elected at the CSC’s Annual General Meeting, week 10 of Hilary Term. Nominations are made a week in advance of the AGM, if you are interested please ensure that you get the treasurers of 2 fully recognised societies to propose and second you using the forms that will be emailed out. Being on CSC Exec is a great way to see how societies work, and to get involved. Exec meets once a week during term time – in Michaelmas Term, meetings can go on for up to 2 hours, but once grant applications have been dealt with they can finished within an hour. If you want to know more about it, please get in touch.
Running for a position as a CSC officer.
It may help to have already served as an ordinary member of the Executive, however any registered students who are currently engaged in academic studies or research, or staff of the University, are eligible can be nominated for any of the Officerships of the CSC. You must be nominated by two Treasurers of fully recognised societies.